Monday, July 23, 2012

Place post: Deep Eddy pool

First off, I want to talk about why I chose Deep Eddy's pool as my place to visit and gain experience from my trip. I decided that Deep Eddy's pool would be a location that would gain my interest because I am a swimmer and I love being around water. The second reason why Deep Eddy was a draw for me was because I've heard so much about it, but had yet to visit such a historical site in Austin. Deep Eddy pool is a historical site because it has gained the title as the oldest pool in the state of Texas. The pool is actually not even a chlorinated pool. Instead Deep Eddy is a natural spring from the Colorado River. The pool was built back in the 1915 right before the time of the great depression. There's a second part that makes Deep Eddy so famous, it's bathhouse. Constructed during the great depression, the bathhouse has become the yin, for Deep Eddy's yang. It was destroyed back in 1935, but remodeled in 1936. And then recently received enough donations to have the bathhouse remodeled as of right now, so I was unable to explore this second amazing entity of Deep Eddy. Deep Eddy pool is equipped with a relaxation pool, that ends with a 4 foot high wall, this wall seperates the relaxation pool from the lap swim pool. My experience at Deep Eddy was an interesting one to say the least. I was expecting the area to be surrounded by an older population, instead I was surprised to see that Deep Eddy's is the centeral place for the younger kid demographics. Then I was also expecting this to be a pool that would have a diving board and slide, while really the pool only goes to 4 feet deep, kind of ironic that it's called Deep Eddy. The water was super refreshing and I will definitely go back there again because of the history the place holds, but I will still chose Barton Springs over Deep Eddy's any day.
Also I am sorry my phone is not syncing properly with pictures so I cannot seem to upload all the pictures I took.
(copyrighted by Austinboredkids.com)

2 comments:

  1. I've only been to Deep Eddy's once, but it made a lasting impression on me as a very unique place. Thank you for shedding light on the pool's history. I had no clue that the water was of a natural spring. I guess that is why the water was so refreshing. It makes me think about how impossible it may be for there to be anything like this in "Cancer Alley" which the film "Green" explored. The runoff and waste in the bodies of water by the area could make a spring of this nature a very dangerous place. I think that we are very fortunate to have Deep Eddy in are area, giving us an opportunity to connect with nature in a way that I would not have thought possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I have been to Deep Eddy's before, I had no idea that it is almost a century old. Even relative to other states this would be considered a historical site, as there are states much older than Texas, because outdoor pools didn't become popular until after World War II. I'm sure the reason it doesn't have a range of depths is because there was probably not a huge revenue to fund the pool if it was built around the time of the great depression. Although Deep Eddy doesn't have as much to offer as Barton Springs, it definitely allows you to go back in time and experience what it might be like to go an outdoor pool back in the early 1900's.

    ReplyDelete