Monday, July 16, 2012

No Matter the Drilling Method, Natural Gas Is a Much-Needed Tool to Battle Global Warming



No Matter the Drilling Method, Natural Gas Is a Much-Needed Tool to Battle Global Warming






Natural Gas drilling, Cedar Hill, TX




This article summarizes a recent study that shows that natural gas drilling is effective as a transition from coal and oil to a low-carbon energy source. Overall, this article calls into question whether or not using U.S. resources to transition to natural gas is more effective than spending money and other resources to research new forms of clean energy. This study made me think about how U.S. environmental policies implement new scientific research like this, and forced me to consider the benefits to changing from fossil fuels to natural gas. 








3 comments:

  1. The information I would be interested in gathering in addition to what this study claims is-what other benefits does natural gas serve besides the purpose of fighting global warming by being a low carbon energy resource? What methods would have to be employed to harness natural gas from the earth and would these procedures cause harm to the environment in this process? Furthermore, what substitutes could be used as fuel sources once natural gas is exhausted, without causing considerable damage to the atmosphere and the climate? These are questions I would like to have answered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally enjoyed this article. Before reading this article I had never really given much thought to the different amounts of carbon in each fossil fuel. I believe this is a great plan. I never knew replacing the energy we receive from burning coal and some oil would have such a drastic effect on our climate. I knew that coal was very dirty with natural gas being a cleaner alternative, but not that switching would make a 40% difference. Even If time is not a factor in carbon reduction with natural gas, we still need to make changes in our fuels in a relatively quick manner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little biased in how I feel about natural gas, seeing as I have land where natural gas is currently being drilled. However, after reading this article I'm in even more support of it since is is better than the use of fossil fuels, which we really need to wing ourselves off of. Loved the article and really hope that natural gas gains popularity!

    ReplyDelete