Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Place Post: Town Lake!!!


  http://www.texasoutside.com/townlake.htm

This past weekend was my first time ever visiting Town Lake, here in Austin. Though it is only a mile and a half away, I had never been to it.  I run for the cross country team here at UT, and, at least three times a week, the team runs down to Town Lake to do workouts.  Unfortunately, I was injured all last year, so I was never able to experience a nice run down to the lake.  Finally injury-free, I went on my first run down to Town Lake Saturday night.
            Shaded by countless trees, the dirt trail that surrounds the lake is a place of paradise for a runner.  Step by step, I jogged through the many straights and curves of the trail, avoiding the numerous bikers, walkers, and other runners doing their daily exercise. 
The ten-mile trail is not only a place for exercise. It is a place to experience the environment at its finest. Coming from New Jersey, I have never really been to such a beautiful place before.  In my town, the closest thing to beauty is the mile loop around a baseball field. At Town Lake, there is obviously the peaceful lake waters, but it is also home to creatures of all different sorts. I saw squirrels, crickets, birds, nutrias, and more! It was definitely an animal’s paradise, along with a runner’s paradise.
After my run, I walked the trail back to my car.  On my walk back, I saw more and more. Upon crossing the little wooden bridge, my nose was drawn to a nasty stench.  It was from the bat droppings! As I walked away from the stench, I saw the bats fly from underneath the bridge, a sighting that tourists come from all around to see.  I approached a sign that described the bats and ensured people that the bats would not harm them.
As I was exiting the trail that surrounded the lake, I came across the rowing center that was being finished up.  It truly showed how people try to interact with nature. People here, I realized, try to interact with nature in all sorts of ways, whether it is by rowing, paddle-boarding, fishing, watching the bats, kayaking, or just plain running.  I’m happy that my injuries finally healed because being able to run at Town Lake was definitely an experience I needed to have.  It showed me how people try to interact with nature, and it is a place of absolute beauty.

9 comments:

  1. I took my first walk around town lake just a couple of months ago and enjoyed it as much as you! Even though I had been living in Austin since 2008 I had never even ventured to that area. As well as it being a healthy activity to run/walk/bike around the trail, it is a relaxing experience as you get to interact with nature and see some of Austin's natural beauties. Before I had ever walked the whole trail though I had the experience of kayaking on the lake from the rowing center. Even though it was hot as hell it was even more rewarding an experience to me because of the direct interaction with the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last summer, I went kayaking with some friends near Town Lake. It was actually my first time kayaking and the first time being and swimming in a lake. Austin is really a good place for outdoor experiences. Back in my hometown in Taiwan, we didn't have much space for parks. And most rivers and lakes are either far away from the city (or in mountains)or channeled. I also went to walk the trail in the beginning of this year. I enjoyed feeling of being so close to the nature in a city.

      Delete
  2. I have also been to Town lake about a year ago and experienced the outdoor feeling of freedom and it was inspiring to see athletes and other people with their pet dogs running along the jogging tracks to build stamina and to exercise their bodies with the advantage of de-stressing themselves and their animals by being closer to nature. I remember sitting near the lake in the afternoon and watching the colorful ducks swim by while a few dogs chased them playfully when they came near the shore. What I found most noteworthy was the amount of people who were scattered about the area with their families, friends and pets and yet with similar goals of wanting to get closer to nature in some way or to have a change of scene from their mundane lives..Although nature is perceived differently by different people, it is clear to me now that these people preferred to experience nature in its true element rather than by trying to find it in a mall like the Nature Company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Town Lake is one of my favorite places in Austin. I'm from Houston, so I can understand your feelings of living in a city where a lot of natural beauty has not been preserved. My parents come to visit me here in Austin every early fall and we always go and watch the bats fly. It's definitely a unique experience, and one of the things that makes Austin such an awesome place to live and visit

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been in Austin for four years now and I have not experienced Town Lake. It sounds extremely interesting. Aside from the bats and the smell of their droppings, I would love to experience the nature of Town Lake one day. Hopefully I will in the very near future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've lived in Austin for almost three years, and I have never been to Town Lake but I hear it's beautiful and one of the nicer places in the city to run. From what I hear, the trails and the area surrounding the water is peaceful, pristine and overall beautiful. My O-chem professor in particular would always recommend running on Town Lake for good exercise because it is so tranquil and gorgeous. The bats seem they'd be interesting to observe, although I do have a slight fear of bats!!! I definetly must visit Town Lake before I graduate and leave Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Town Lake is a great place to go in Austin to still be in the city and experience nature. I have kayaked and paddleboarded on Town Lake which were both too very different experiences because paddleboarding was new to me and allowed me to jump into the lake. I haven't walked or jogged along the trails before, but I think next time I go that is definately what I will do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have lived in Austin for nearly a quarter of my life and I have yet yet to go to town lake. I pass it on my way to certain events or festivities but for the most part, its beyond has remained a mystery to me. The only time I every remember directly going there was to watch my girlfriend at the time row. I am going to try to make a conscious effort to try to appreciate the nature around me more, Town Lake included.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a lot of friends on the track team is beneficial for me, since i get to visit town lake every weekend . A casual stroll by the lake, or a run or a jog or even just a walk, this place is refreshing and gives Austin a different charm on the whole. Town Lake is definitely a better experience when its not too hot, but rather when its pleasant . The above description of town lake is accurate and is a must go for everyone. Although, i should say going to town lake at night even its for a run or a jog is not safe at all. Murders and shootings and pickpockets are very common during this time. Town Lake during the day is the best experience one would have if they havent been there yet. I always go there since the natural beauty around town lake refreshes me and releives my stress.

    ReplyDelete